Addison and I just returned from a weeklong vacation to Grand Rapids Michigan to visit my great friend, Heidi and her daughter Ava. We were lucky to get to travel with our friend, Alicia as well. Alicia, Heidi, and I taught together for two years, both in Klein and Conroe. Heidi and I have known each other since we were 12 years old, and is one of my oldest friends.
We all had such a great time just relaxing and enjoying the FABULOUS weather! It was so great to escape to weather that stayed in the 50s, 60s, and 70s pretty much all week. Heidi and her husband Mark just moved to Grand Rapids in February and bought this awesome house on gorgeous property on the Thornapple River. It was so great to have dinner outside on the deck every night and just enjoy the view.
I was a little worried about how I would deal with Addison on her first airplane ride. She really did great, especially considering what we went through coming back yesterday. Here are several things that you never want to hear when trying to catch a flight home with an overtired 4 month old....and only one diaper left in your bag....but we heard them anyway.
1. Your flight has been delayed at least 3 hours, but it could be longer.
2. Someone's not happy (Heard from many random strangers, referring to Addison.)
3. Flight 3015 to Houston has been cancelled.
4. You must rebook at the ticketing counter....in a line of 100, with 2 agents.
5. I can re-route you through Chicago tonight and then to Houston at 6am tomorrow. Are you kidding me??!!
6. Ok, you're right...that's crazy, you have a four month old. Let's put you on a flight at 5am tomorrow from Grand Rapids to Chicago (O'Hare) where you will have a 45 minute layover, switch airlines and fly into Houston at 9am.
1. Heidi wakes us up at 4:15 am....that's 3:15 our time. Addison is none too happy.
2. We get selected for "special screening" at the airport, which takes over 30 minutes!!
We did luck out with a few things though.
1. My bag only weighed 49.5 pounds after some very strategical packing. Yea for no extra charge!
2. We had the nicest flight attendant ever!!
3. Extra leg room on both flights!
4. Got to Houston without a hitch and reunited with Daddy. Yea!
Even though we had a few headaches on the return trip, our vacation with Heidi, Ava, Mark, and Alicia was so fun. Here are some pics!
Heidi's backyard....seriously beautiful.
Enjoying the sunset.
View from living room