Sunday, September 12, 2010

Papa, my white knight

Yesterday was one of the longest days of my life.
Speaking of long....

Andy has been gone for 12 days now.
12 days.
That's 288 hours by myself with 2 kids 2 and under.
But who's counting?

I am.
Andy gets back in 5 days.
120 hours to go...and Addison will be in pre-school for 8 of them.
Every bit helps.

Because for the last 12 days, at least one of us has been Addison has yet to go to school. Tomorrow is going to be glorious!

So yesterday, I got up after only 3 hours of sleep, I'll spare the details, but the day/night before was my time to be sick. Anyways, got up and got the kids, and hurried around the house feeding, cleaning, laundry doing, dressing, not showering...didn't have get all three of us out of the house for 3 back to back showings.

This was after cleaning the house the day before for 2 hours, getting the kids out of the house during naptime, only to have a showing cancelled. I was spitting venom, I was so mad.

Anyways, got the kids out of the house, ran a few errands, and met Sheila and Jacqueline for lunch at Lupe Tortilla. I figured that a mexican place where they serve unlimited chips and tortillas was my best bet with 2 tired kiddos.

It was one of the most stressful meals of my life. Addison proceeded to push every button I had left, forget push, she yanked the buttons out and tossed them to the table behind us while she was beating the poor lady's head as she was jumping on the seat. I decided even Lupe's beef fajitas weren't worth the ounce of sanity I had left to regroup, get them in the car and head home as Addison is yelling, "Almost time to go night night" pleading for her nap.

I left Sheila and Jacqueline to finish their meal in peace. We went home, had a nap, and I decided I better try and go grocery shopping if we wanted to eat anything this week. I took both kids, which is one of my least favorite things to do. Addison drove the "car", G was in the cart, and she proceeds to yell for cookie, which there was no way she was getting after the way she had acted all day, and then she decides to abandon the cart, throw herself on the floor in the middle of the aisle and have a category 5 tantrum in the middle of Kroger. I was so done by this point, that I just called her bluff and waved "bye" to her as I left with Graham down the next aisle.

This poor lady tries to scoop her up off the ground and bring her to me, thinking that I was just abandoning her, and I start crying to this complete stranger, telling her how my husband has already moved and we're in the middle of this transfer, and I'M LOSING MY MIND.

Poor, sweet woman.

So yesterday sucked.

Today, my white night, otherwise known, as "Papa" to G&A, "dad" to Andy, or "huge answer to prayer" to me, showed up at 8am. Thank you Jesus for my father-in-law.

He stayed from 8am until 8pm. It was beyond wonderful.

The kids played. Laundry got done. A second trip to the grocery store was finish the disaster that was attempted on Saturday. The house was cleaned. Kids were fed.

I showered.

It is amazing what a difference a second set of hands makes. I am not being dramatic. I do not know how single parents do it. I have an amazing amount of appreciation, respect, and awe for them.

So enough of the jabber, here are some pics, of healthy, happy people.

Both Addison and Graham adore this puppy chair. I so wish Babystyle hadn't of gone out of business! Graham watched his sister love on the puppy, and then he repeatedly climbed on and kissed him too.

Hope that everyone has a great week! Here's to a quick 5 days. We miss you daddy...more than you know.



Mary said...

Melissa, I am so so sorry! I can't imagine how overwhelmed and stressed you are right now!! I'll pray for a calm, healthy week and hope things go better...

sarah watson said...

hang in there!!! so funny...i used to think of my parents as being the calvary...always getting there in just the nick of time :)

Ashley McWhorter said...

PLEASE come hang out with us when you have showings or WHENEVER! PLEASE!!! Maggie is in school M/W/F, so Cash and Graham could totally play together. Or, they could all play together on the other days. PLEASE! :)

Lacey said...

I was laughing so hard at your post. I have so been there. I think all us mamas can relate. I love that the lady at kroger picked her up and brought her to you. LOL. I have done the same thing and people stare at me but no one has ever brought them to me. I bet A quickly stopped crying when a stranger picked her up. Oh Melissa. 12 days is LOOONNNNGGG. Glad Papa came to help. If want a break to play, come over. Hads has school Mon/Wed but are home the other drays.

the deKorne family said...

i am afraid i can relate. i haven't had maybe quite that many days in a straight row, but a lot of days. for a lot of years. you suck. sooooo glad you had help. i know there is not a better feeling in the world than relief! did he come from oklahoma just for the day? thrilled for you!

the deKorne family said...

hA! I meant IT sucks. not you suck. sheesh. clearly i'm a bit tired from time alone, also. YOU are awesome and deserve an award.

Shannon K. said...

Oh my goodness! I felt guilty laughing at your post. I've SO been there with my kids. They don't make drinks stiff enough! :)

The Manuel Family said...

I feel your pain Lebo! Being a single parent and selling a house is no fun! It will be over soon though. :) On another note, Caroline is with me and loves that Addison has a Porter chair like her...she loves her Porter...I miss Babystyle too!

Lindsay Wagner said...

girl, i KNOW! john is back as of yesterday after being in new york for 6 weeks! that's right.....6 weeks of solo parenting! let's just say that bedtime sometimes came at 6 and sometimes solo happy hour started during bathtime. ya gotta do what ya gotta do, i GET it! bless your heart with the grocery store story....awful. it's my least favorite thing to do also. so much so that is actually ENJOY going to wal mart on my one day of the week that both girls are at school...sad, huh?