Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Trip to the Hospital

Well at 4am Sunday (while we're at the lakehouse outside of Grosbeck, population 200) I saw that Addison had a very unusual and scary diaper...won't go into details. I called the Dr.'s office and the dr. on call called me back about 4:30am. After going through some questions, he told me she needed to be seen tonight. If she wasn't screaming in pain, we could make it back to Houston. Thank goodness...as I wasn't thrilled with the idea of going to the local Grosbeck hospital.

We drove as quickly as we could back to the Woodlands and Addison slept the entire way. At Memorial Herman, we were taken into one of the ER rooms pretty quickly about 7am. They put poor Addison through what seemed like a gazillion procedures that were horrible for her to have to endure.....blood drawn, IV, X-rays, a catheter!!, and a barium enema. All of this took about 5 hours.

After the enema, it was determined that she had intussusception. They were able to correct the problem through the procedure, so I thought we were good to go. Well then the doc on call said they would probably want to keep us overnight for observation. Ok....

So he calls my pediatrician, and the Dr. on call decides that yes, they do want to keep her for observation...downtown. This is when I got a little freaked out. They had an ambulance team transport her down to Children's in the Medical Center.

After being told to "flush" her system with pedialyte, we were then told that she could not have ANY fluids for 24 hours so her intestines could rest. They hydrated her with fluids through an IV, but she didn't eat anything for 30 hours. I felt so bad for her!!! Think of a little baby that goes 4 hours without a bottle....you get the picture.

She was such a trooper though and we were discharged yesterday about 4pm. We're just supposed to keep an eye on her since children that develop this are more succeptable to it occuring again. She was so exhausted that she slept for 12 hours straight last night. We're all so glad to be home and so blessed and thankful to know that our little girl is ok.


Mary said...

how scary! we're so glad to hear that addison is ok. and to think...this is only the beginning of all the excitement you'll have with her :)

hope to see you tonight!!

Mama said...

Oh sweetie - I know how scary it is when they take your baby away in an ambulance! :( BUT...I am so happy that everything is ok now and that you guys are back home!

Lacey said...

I have never heard of that. I am glad she is better now. How scary!