Thursday, January 8, 2009

Beer and Cheese Soup.....


My sweet grandma passed away yesterday at the age of 91.  We were so blessed to have her for so many years and memories.  It helps my mom and I so much to know that she is reunited with her wonderful husband and two sons, and we know that she is celebrating with God this morning.

Even though she lived so far away in Milwaukee, we were fortunate that she spent many winters "flying south" to Houston to be with us.  One of my favorite memories of her was a night that she cooked dinner for us.  Being from Wisconsin, the land of beer and cheese, she decided that she was going to share the delicacy of beer and cheese soup with us.

We sat down to the table and began to eat, and I couldn't help but pause as I took my first bite.  "This is a pretty strange soup...." I was thinking....but no one else dare said anything so I kept my mouth shut.  All of the sudden my grandma stopped eating and yelled...

"Oh crap, I forgot the cheese!"  Beer and cheese soup with no cheese.....   a meal to be remembered. 

6 comments:

Mary said...

so does that make it just beer soup?? YUM :)

i'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. 91 years is amazing! your family will be in our prayers.

Honeyman 4 said...

What a fun memory. And what a blessing of a long life. God's peace and comfort for you and family.

Shannon K. said...

haha! what a great memory. Sorry for your loss! :(

Kim Erbele said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Continue to think of wonderful memories like the one you shared, then she will live on forever! We will be keeping your family in our prayers.

Katie said...

Sweet memory. Praying for peace for your family.

The Manuel Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother but am glad for the great memories you have with her.