Monday, January 12, 2009

Trip to Cold Country and a little history

My mom, dad and I just returned from Milwaukee where we got a chance to say goodbye to my sweet grandma and spend some time with family that we hadn't seen in so long.  It's sad how it sometimes takes something like a funeral to get everyone together.

Don't worry... this isn't going to be a downer of a post, but I just had such a great time spending and learning more about my family.  In addition to seeing all of the extended family and sharing stories, my mom and dad took me on a little tour of memory lane.  A walk down memory lane just wasn't going to happen since the temperature hovered around 10 degrees for most of the two days.  It was really neat though to drive around with them to their first house, the church they got married, etc.  I mean this was a long time ago people....my wonderful parents have now been married for over 41 years!

Anyways, I also came across some sweet photos, some more recent than others that I wanted to share.  Some of them are almost 100 years old!!
The street my mom grew up on.  I love the way the houses look up there!  I think most of these were built in the 1930's.
Ok, it was news to me that the TV show Happy Days took place in Milwaukee.  Apparently, Leon's was a staple on the show, and happens to be right across the street from my mom's high school.  It has obviously done well because it was still standing.  I wanted to try some frozen custard so bad but the fact that it was 20 degrees below freezing outside took some of the appeal away.

I was showing  a few people recent pictures of Addison and they thought that she looked a lot like the following two pictures of me as a baby with my grandma.  Mind you, it's easy to tell me that she looks like me when Andy is no where around, but it was nice to hear for a change.  I do see a little bit of her in these...


The next few pics are just so neat.  This is a picture of my grandma on her wedding day...I just love her outfit.

This is a picture taken of my parents (the two on the far right) right before they got married.  I told you it's been a while!!!
And my favorite....a picture of my grandma in 1918.  I just love looking back at old pictures!

And this picture is hard to see, but it's my grandma and grandpa just goofing off.  I love and miss both of them but I love even more that they're having fun together again! 

5 comments:

Becky Todd said...

What a sweet post...thanks for sharing!

Lacey said...

What a sweet post. You look like your Grandma. That picture of her on her wedding day I totally see YOU!! What a sweet post to keep those pictures preserved. :) And I would love to go up North to visit where my parents grew up. I went when I was little, but too little to "really" remember. Anyway, neat!! Saw Addy and her Daddy at the park yesterday- so cute!

Mary said...

so sweet!

Katie said...

I'm glad you got to be there for her funeral and see everyone. That really is one of the only times extended families get to see each other, sadly. Great memories, Melissa.

The Manuel Family said...

Love the pics. Thanks for posting!!